This is perfect for a cold day. It doesn’t take many ingredients and can be done in under 30 minutes!
Tteokguk (Korean Rice Cake Soup)
A simple yet filling soup made of rice cakes in broth.
- 40 grams beef or protein of your choice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 stalks green onions chopped
- 3 cups bone broth or broth of your choice
- 200 grams rice cakes (tteok) soak for 30 mins prior to use if using store bought tteok
- soy sauce and black pepper to taste
- seaweed strips
- egg strips (2 eggs)
- green onions
- Season your beef by adding in soy sauce, minced garlic, sugar, salt, black pepper and sesame oil. Let it marinate for a few minutes.
- In a pot over medium heat, sauté the beef in sesame oil along with the green onions.
- Once the beef is 75% cooked, add in the bone broth and rice cakes.
- Boil over medium heat until the rice cakes are soft.
- Season to taste with soy sauce and black pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- You can also serve this with seaweed strips, eggs and green onions.
- Separate two eggs into yolks and egg whites.
- Fry the egg whites and yolks separately over medium low heat. You want to avoid any browning so the white and yellow colors shine through.
- Remove from the heat.
- Slice thinly.
Leave a Reply