da da da da tteok-kkochi!
Have you eaten tteok-kkochi before?
Tteok-kkochi is a popular street food in South Korea that consists of skewered rice cakes brushed with a sweet and spicy gochujang sauce🌶 The sauce is really easy to make! All you have to do is mix and let the sauce thicken.
Sweet and Spicy and so delicious!
There are many variations of tteok-kkochi including cheese sotteok sotteok which are rice cakes layered with sausage and mozzarella cheese as well as cheese tteok kkochi which are grilled cheese and rice cake skewers.
These skewers are chewy with a wonderful sweet and spicy sauce that will leave you wanting more! tteok kkochi is also vegan friendly if you use rice syrup in place of honey. Regardless of which one you make, they’ll all be delicious!
Tteok: Rice cake
- Garaetteok (Cylinder shaped Rice Cakes)
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- Mini Sausages/Hot dogs
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp rice syrup or honey
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Sauté the garlic in oil until fragrant over medium heat.
- Add all your sauce ingredients and let it reduce until thick (takes about 5-7 minutes over medium heat).
- If using refrigerated rice cakes, boil the tteok for 2-3 minutes so that they are easier to skewer.
- Skewer your ingredients of choice!
- Tteok-Kkochi: Rice Cake only skewer
- Cheese Sotteok Sotteok: Alternate cheese, tteok and sausage
- Cheese Tteok Kochi: Alternate cheese and tteok
- Fry both sides of the skewers for 1-2 minutes over medium heat in a little bit of oil until the tteok is slightly toasted.
- Glaze both sides with the sauce
- Fry both sides again for 30-60 seconds or until the sauce is slightly caramelized and sticky
- Eat immediately but be careful not to burn your mouth!