Hands down. The easiest churros you’ll ever make in your entire life. It isn’t authentic to your traditional Mexican churros but is just as delicious. The tteok becomes crispy and chewy when fried in butter. The cinnamon and sugar blend add the perfect amount of sweetness to each tteok. It’s a great one bite treat!
The best part is that you can eat them with chopsticks so no sticky hands.
Rice Cake Churros (Tteok Churros)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup tteok
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp butter
- Prepare your cinnamon and sugar blend by mixing together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Over medium low heat, let the tteok boil in the water until all the water has evaporated.
- Your tteok should be extremely sticky at this point but don't worry!
- Add in the butter.
- Fry the tteok until it is golden and crispy. Turn down your heat to low so the butter does not burn. If the tteok is crispy and brown but there is still butter left, just remove the tteok. If the tteok isn't crispy yet and you've run out of butter then add another tbsp of butter. Repeat until the tteok is golden and crispy.
- Immediately, toss the hot tteok into the cinnamon sugar blend.
- Serve by itself or with a chocolate sauce for extra sweetness. Enjoy!
- If your tteok isn’t tender nor sticky after all your water has evaporated- add in another 1/2 cup of water. If using refrigerated tteok, I recommend soaking the tteok in water for 30 minutes prior to using.