In Ep. 5, Yoongi makes his own version of the Doenjang-guk. This soup requires one very important ingredient: doenjang otherwise known as soybean paste. Typically, doenjang-guk has zucchini, mushrooms and tofu but Yoongi didn’t have any on hand so he made a mushroom soybean paste soup. His secret ingredient to a good doenjang-guk? A spoonful of ssamjang!
Doenjang-guk (Korean Soybean Paste Soup)
- 2 oz pork belly or your choice of protein
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp doenjang
- 1/2 tbsp ssamjang
- 1 cup water
- king oyster mushrooms
- oyster mushrooms
- enoki mushrooms
- chopped green onions
- Over medium heat, cook your protein of choice until it is 50% cooked.
- Add the onions and garlic. Sauté for an additional two minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add in the doenjang and ssamjang. Incorporate well.
- Pour in one cup of water and let the soup boil for five minutes.
- Add in your choice of mushrooms.
- Boil for an additional five minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Taste the soup and see if it is to your liking. If you want the soup to be more flavorful then you can add more doenjang and ssamjang. If you want it more mild then you can add more water. The great thing about this soup is that once you mix the doenjang and ssamjang with water, you can adjust the amount of mushrooms to your liking.
- Garnish with green onions and enjoy immediately!
Leave a Reply